Social Studies Objectives
Chapter Twenty, The Later Twentieth Century
Lesson One, World War II
1. Analyze the reasons for the start of World War II
2. Summarize the conflicts that ended with the defeat of the Axis Powers.
3. Compare and contrast the Allies' victories in Europe and the Pacific.
4. Analyze the Germans' treatment of the Jews.
5. Evaluate the cooperation among the Allie in making postwar plans.
Lesson Three, Cold War Tensions
1. Evaluate how the United States and the western European democracies conflicted with the Soviet Union in their plans for post-World War II Europe.
2. Summarize how the spread of communism into Asia resulted in conflicts between pro- and anti- communist forces in that region.
3. Analyze the actions taken by Soviet leader Nikita S. Khrushchev and American President John F. Kennedy during the Cold War.
4. Evaluate the role of the United States in the conflict between North Vietnam and South Vietnam in the 1960's and 1970's.