Social Studies Objectives
Chapter Four, Early Civilizations in Asia and the Americas
Lesson One, Civilization in the Indus Valley
1. Evaluate the influence of the physical setting on the development of civilization in the Indus Valley.
2. Analyze the unique layout of the city of Mohenjo-Daro.
3. Synthesize information about life in Harappan cities.
4. Hypothesize about the fall of Mohenjo-Daro.
Lesson Two, Civilization in the Huang He Valley
1. Analyze the causes of the Chinese people's sense of their importance.
2. Summarize how the Mandate of Heaven contributed to the continuity in China.
3. Evaluate the role of oracle bones as a link between past, present, and future for the Chinese.
4. Classify writing in Chinese culture as both an agent of change and a contributor to continuity.
Lesson Three, Ancient Civilizations of the Americas
1. Hypothesize about which ideas of the Olmecs may have been used by later peoples.
2. Analyze Mayan civilization to identify features the Mayas may have passed on to others.